November 27, 2023
Glad you asked. A college resume is similar to the professional resumes adults use. Although most high school students have yet to hold professional jobs before graduating, if they have followed our advice, they have accrued service hours, extracurricular achievements, and maybe an internship or two. The college resume is the perfect place to highlight those experiences. The culmination of a student’s achievements and high school experiences, together in one document outside the typical application questions, can help a student shine and stand out to an admission or scholarship committee.
Primary uses of a college resume
A college resume is essential in the college planning process because it is so versatile. Students can use this document for various purposes related to their academic and professional pursuits.
● The most common use of a college resume is as one component of college applications. When applying to colleges, students are often asked to submit a resume along with their application materials to provide a comprehensive overview of their academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and other relevant experiences. We recommend submitting a college resume even when it’s not an application requirement.
● Many scholarship programs require applicants to submit a resume as part of the application process. A well-crafted college resume helps scholarship committees assess the candidate’s qualifications, achievements, and potential for success.
● Students seeking internships or co-op opportunities can use a college resume to showcase their academic background, skills, and relevant experiences. It helps potential employers understand the student’s suitability for the internship role.
Letters of Recommendation:
● Sharing a college resume is valuable when asking for letters of recommendation. Teachers and other professionals can utilize the college resume to share detailed information about the student to support their letters.
● While college students may have a limited professional work history, a college resume can be used when applying for part-time jobs, summer positions, or entry-level roles. It allows employers to assess candidates’ academic achievements, extracurricular involvement, and relevant skills.
● A college resume can be useful during networking events, career fairs, or informational interviews. Sharing your resume with professionals in your field of interest helps them understand your background and opens doors for future opportunities.
Leadership and Award Nominations:
● Some colleges and external organizations may request resumes when considering students for leadership positions, awards, or honors. A college resume allows them to evaluate a student’s overall contributions and achievements.
The college resume’s versatility makes it a valuable asset, helping students to present themselves effectively in the competitive arenas of college admissions, scholarships, internships, and beyond. We’re here to help your student craft a stand-out college resume that could make the difference in winning that competitive acceptance or scholarship. Don’t hesitate to reach out if we can help you in this critical
step of the college planning process!
Thanks for reading,
Craft a stand-out college resume with Class 101.
We know college resumes. We’ve helped thousands of students build powerhouse college resumes that help them stand out from the crowd.
To schedule a free consultation, reach out to us at one of our locations:
Class 101 Brandon, FL | Class 101 Carmel, IN | Class 101 Bloomington, IN
February 21, 2024
In our recent blog post, we shared insights into the revamped FAFSA form for the 2024-2025 applicationyear. The great news is that the Department of Education has undertaken a significant overhaul tosimplify the application process for families. However, it’s essential to stay informed about certainchallenges that have arisen during the initial launch. Key Updates for […]Read More >
February 2, 2024
Junior year is one of the most important times in preparing for the college application and scholarship process. As the countdown to senior year begins, strategic planning can transform the looming college application process into a stress-free experience. If you’re reading this in January, you’re just six months away from when college applications become available […]Read More >
January 23, 2024
The FAFSA Simplification Act required a significant redesign of the FAFSA form for the 2024-2025 application. The updates pushed back the FAFSA timeline for this year’s senior families from the typical October 1st application open date to late December. Even now, in January 2024, the FAFSA remains in a soft launch. The FAFSA website currently […]Read More >